Monday, May 24, 2010

i want a tortoise, i would be a dedicated owner, but my mum wont let me, how can i convince her to let me?

I will pay for it myself and look after it, but i need permission first, and need her to phone and order it!
Answers:
this is not something you should jump into. I surfed the internet for months gathering info before I purchased 2 red-ear slider turtles. They need a lot of room, heat, and special foods. They need their habitat to be very clean. You need to ask yourself if you can afford the accessories you will need to keep your tortoise healthy. They would not make the best pet. He will not interact with you. Ask yourself why do I want a tortoise? Maybe you would be better off getting a traditional pet like a bird, cat, or dog. They are easier to care for and your local vet would be able to take care of any issues that would come up. You need to show your Mom you are responsible and ready for the committment. Think twice - get a cat or dog!
I always worry a bit about tortoises for kids. I'm guessing you are about 12-14 years old (forgive me if I am a bit wrong!).

Here is the deal. Tortoises with proper care can live 30-50 years. You'll be around 45 when it is in its old age.

Between now and then, you'll
- finish school
- start college
- finish college
- get married
- have kids
- see those kids go to school
- see your kids graduate college
- move 2 or 3 times
- change your mind about everything from your favorite food to your style of music.
. and through it all, you will need to be taking care of the tortoise day in and day out.

I would convince mum by showing your skills and dedication on an easier pet, perhaps a pet rat. Build mum's confidence in you step by step.

No comments:

Post a Comment