Monday, May 24, 2010

I rescued two sulcata tortoises, what can I feed them during the winter when fresh grass isn't available?

I fed them bermuda hay, timothy, orchard grasses and frozen veggies last year.I dried clean fresh grass, clover and weeds when available to feed that during the winter months.. What else can I feed them to prevent their shell from pyramidding. They also get calcium from dandelions but I can't find too many of them around my property though I have ten acres. I would prefer to not feed them store bought or commercial foods. Anyone have any ideas?
Answers:
I know nothing about turtles, but I wonder if you could grow a container of grass in-doors? I grow fresh herbs for cooking, so I thought maybe grass would grow in the window and you could just cut off what you need?
you may want to go to a local pet store, most will have live foods(such as worms) to feed to your tortoises. Maybe you could freeze some fresh grass this year before the season ends and feed them that trough out the winter. Also fresh and frozen veggies seem to really do the trick as they have much more nutrition than grass does. Good luck. I hope this helped.
they should eat lettuce and tomatoes and veggies
You could build a greenhouse, or use indoor techniques to grow what they need in the winter, it would be a heavy investment to get the equipment but if it is something you are concerned with it may not be a bad idea.I know they live a long time if I'm not mistaken.so it may be worth the money
I would feed them hay (timothy/alfalfa mix) you can get it at a store or farmer. Otherwise greens like romaine, collards, mustards, and fresh veggies/fruits. Pyramidding is from lack of humidity when they are babies. I have a red foot and when I brought her humidity up you can tell it helps with that problem. I did some research, if I can find the website I will post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment