Saturday, May 22, 2010

I just bought a new ball python and I need help?

I did not have a chance to see him eat or to know when the last time he ate was, but he did poop. Can you tell me the last time he ate by the time he *?
Answers:
If this is a juevenile ball python you can go ahead and feed him anytime between now and a week from now. I would feed him one or two mice (size appropriate) about every 7 days. DO NOT overfeed your snake with multiple mice at a time. NEVER more than two. This is not good for your snake and many people do it thinking it wil make the snake grow bigger faster. They do not have the best interest of the snake in mind.
Call your pet shop or the place that you got him and ask them. I bet that he ate not to long ago since he did is job and all!
well, whats his size? depending on the size, you should feed him something about the size of his head once every 10days
Just go ahead and feed him. It won't hurt him. If he is really full still, he will not eat.
My family used to have a garter snake and a corn snake. Usually when they ate, it was 3-5 days later that they pooped. I'd assume your snake works in a similar way. Have fun with your new pet!
you should feed him if he shat. Then feed him about once a week.
I used to feed mine once a week.and sometimes I would drop four or five mice in there and he'd eat them all in one day. He would usually crap out the last mice whole though.
You should be OK if you feed him now. He should be eating two appropriate sized mice every week. The mice should be about the same size around as the snake at the snake's widest point. Not the snakes head.No matter what that other person said. 5 mice is way too much and that would explain why that persons snake wasn't digesting properly.
You are fine to feed your snake but should be kept to 2 mice every 7 to 10 days depending on the size of your snake. You could always call or visit the place you bought your snake they will have info on its last feeding.
Well, when I feed my ball python he poops about two-three days later, I hope this helps, but to be for sure you should call the pet store, they usually have set days they feed the critters, snakes all get fed the same day every week or other week. You should be fine to feed him even if you did not know the exact date, he will eat it if he's hungery. Oh are you feeding live, stunned or dead?? I HIGHLY recommend dead/frozen. It keeps your pet from getting parasites, and injured from the live mice. A lot of people wnat to fed live cuz its cool, but killling your snake is isn't worth it. yes mice have killed snakes before. If you do feed live make sure you put food inthe cage for the mouse so it won't be tempted to eat the snake, and always be careful, pulling him/her out they tend to be more motion detective then dead fed snakes who grab the mice by sent. Good luck and have fun, snakes don't cuddle, but theyare really cool pets.
If he just shat go ahead and feed him. Better to get him on a feeding schedule that suits you not the pet shop. Also I'm going to step on a lot of toes here but when the snake is a juvie/subadult they do not require a weekly feeding. She eats small rats about 4 inches long not including tail. Those that feed them 2 a week must have some fatass snakes, by the way obesity is the number 1 killer of snakes. I'll bet thier snakes dont even move much (mine is extremely active and friendly) which is hard on the snake and shortens thier lives. Exercise is important for any pets health and cannot be ignored, just because it is a snake it does NOT mean it is ok to just lay there and sleep.Every 2-3 weeks for an adult is ideal. A snake will eat whenever offered food, it's called instinct not hunger. It is up to the owner to maintain good health. Babies need weekly feedings not the adults. Hate me if you must people, I'm just telling it like it is. Seeing as how I have had my 5 foot ball python for 15 years and was an adult when I got her. The bigger the meal the less they need to eat. Rundown 2 fuzzies a week is ideal with a baby as they need those vitamins in food to help them with thier growth. 1 mouse a week for juvies, 1 small rat for adults every 2 weeks. Just because its cool to watch them eat is not an excuse to jeopardize thier health.
Just put a mouse or rat in with him. If he is hungry he no doubt eat it ...
I feed my snake once a week on the same day every week. If it pooped then it ate not to long ago. Try and feed it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment