Saturday, May 22, 2010

I just got a leopard gecko and a green anole is there anything I need to know?

I know what to feed them and how to keep them warm but the gecko keeps biting and it hurts. So far she has bitten my finger and my chin. I just want to know if there is something else I need to other than the obvious?
Answers:
How do you have the anole set up? Do you know that anoles need uvb lighting and a basking bulb. Where as the leopard gecko just needs a red heat bulb. Neither of them should have hot rocks, they cause thermal burns.

Anoles also need humidity since they are semi tropical.


As far as your biting leopard gecko, leave it alone. It is stressed and not used to its new environment, it will take time to get it used to being handled but for now give it a few weeks to settle into its new home.
Is the gecko a baby or was it previously owned? Geckos are generally nice and ours has never bitten us. However, we once had a gecko and the previous owners did not take care of it and it was mean. We eventually got rid of it and purchased a baby tangerine gecko who is very nice. Do you take it out and handle it enough?
That could definately be it. Also, it could be how you pick it up or touch it. I know mine only is comfortable with its neck being touched and likes me to slide my hand underneath her to pick her up instead of grabbing her form above or the sides. Each one has its own personality. As for the anole, just remember to keep the humidity high as most people forget that and they dry up and die. The gecko needs a more desert like environment. By the way is your gecko a normal morph/phase or a more colorful one?
I've also never met a mean gecko. Is is possible that it is hurt in some way? You might want to have your vet check her out, if you haven't already.

If she is otherwise healthy, perhaps she is stressed. Is the temperature in her cage too cold or too warm for her? Is she in a room which usually has a lot of loud activity going on? Maybe she isn't being fed enough? Or did she have a previous owner that might have mistreated her?

After assuring she is healthy keep handling her, very gently, and she hopefully will eventually get used to you and stop attacking.
I have had my leopard gecko for ten years and he has never bitten me once. Might also help that he hasnt actually got any teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment