Sunday, August 2, 2009

I have a year old read ear slider female I believe. I got a month ago a hatchling. I would like to put them?

both in a 50 gallon tank. The year old is currently there. I am curious if they will get along or not? They are both female I think.
Answers:
Should not be a problem in a good sized tank.

http://www.redearslider.com
turtles are normally pretty good, after all they get put into tanks at the pet store like 10 at a time. But go ahead and try it. Just keep an eye on them and make sure no one is getting picked on.
and make sure they both get food!! The older one may take all the food!
try it but keep an eye on the little one
Red Eared Sliders are pretty disagreeable turtles and tend to bite at each other. I wouldn't advise putting two together, or putting them with anything else for that matter.
However, I have seen it done, so maybe you can try it and keep a watchful eye over them for a while to make sure no fighting occurs.
Just keep an eye on them. I wouldn't put them together if there is a HUGE size difference (competition for food, accidental injury), if they're reasonably comparably sized, they should be fine.

You probably already know, turtles require a constant water temperature for growth and good health. You should check to verify, I believe water turtles require 82 to 85 degrees. A good turtle proof submersible heater should do the trick! And a serious water filter system. Turtles can be a bit dirty (I feed mine separate from their living quarters for just that reason)!

Babies need a diet high in protein. Lots of fish! When they mature you can mix their diet with some veggies!

Best of luck!
they should get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment